Tuesday 15 October 2013

Simple Tropical Icebox Cake

Simple Tropical Icebox Cake


I never looked at cakes again the same. It also opened my eyes to all the possibilities out there for artists. I was a visual art major in college, and wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to end up doing. It's completely one of the easy desserts you can make for the holidays. I always kept this article in the back of my mind as a reminder of how exciting it could be to find a niche where you excel at what you do while constantly being able to find new ideas, materials, and inspiration through your travels or even in your own back yard

Because I have been daydreaming about cakes all week, I decided to make a simple ice cream cake - a little anti-climatic, I know. Most of the ice-cream cakes I have seen in the past are hard on the eyes and outright tacky looking - they always just have way too much going on. For whatever reason you need something, this is just one of the alternatives to make ice cream recipes. Just because someone has access to thirty-one flavors doesn't mean they need to use them all. And because it is summer I wanted something cool, refreshing, and tropical. So, I present to you my first attempt at an icebox cake. 

You can use just about anything for the layers - sherbert, sorbet, ice-cream, frozen yogurt. The crust could be make with chocolate or vanilla wafers in place of the gingersnaps, and some people even do layers of actual cake between layers of ice-cream. Try making some of the best chocolate recipes, visit Gourmandia for more info.

Preparation Instructions:



Assemble the cake: Pack a thin layer of ginger snap crust into the base of a 6-inch spring form pan. Slather on a generous layer of ice cream, let it freeze until hard.

Pack another layer of ginger snap crust on top of the ice cream (because I love the buttery sweet gingersnap crumbs), then fill pan to the rim with a thin layer of rum + sugar sweetened whipped cream.

Freeze until hardened, preferably overnight.

Release cake from the pan (don't cut around edges w/ a knife) and frost the entire cake with a layer of the sweetened whipped cream.

Top with toasted coconut. Put back in the freezer until outside layer of whipped cream is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment